Reload this Page >

Varsity Sisters visiting Portugal

Search

Varsity Sisters visiting Portugal

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2024, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For dinner we had reservations Cafe Imperial. While it is a lovely historic building the food was not great and the service was poor. They were quite rude and rushed us through our dinner. This was probably the only time during our two week trip we didn’t have good service. No tip for them. Photos attached

Cafe Imperial

We did have nice Kir Royals

All dressed up

After dinner we went to the bar on top of the Dancing House

Views from the observation deck

Lovely lighted Castle across the river

Espresso Martini😁

Looking in the other direction
Old May 10th, 2024, 07:54 AM

I love your photos of Prague. Brings back lots of wonderful memories of our 2 visits there. Our youngest daughter studied in Prague for a semester. That was the first time we visited. It was in October and the crowds weren't too bad then. Then we returned one more time in the summer, and visited other places in the Czech Republic as well. That's too bad about your disappointing dinner at Cafe Imperial. It sure is gorgeous, though. And I love all those puppets! I remember seeing a puppet show at the National Marionette Theater in Prague during our last visit.
Old May 11th, 2024, 01:02 PM

I’m really enjoying your trip report, writing style and photos. Could you please post a link or the name of that lovely 2 bedroom apartment in Prague where you stayed.
Old May 12th, 2024, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

here’s the link to Prague apartment. The property is also listed on Airbnb, but VRBO had a better cancellation policy.

https://www.vrbo.com/738136?chkin=20...nded.Copy_Link

Old May 13th, 2024, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Guided Prague tour- 2nd day

We had such a great experience on Thursday 4/18 with our tour guide Marek we got in touch with Jana at Personal Prague guide and arranged for a second guide for Friday 4/19. We met Magda at the top of Wenceslas Square. She spent the morning with us educating us about Prague before and during WWII and then the 40 years of Communism. There is a monument to the young Czech student Jan Zajic who lit himself on fire in 1969 to protest the communist invasion in 1968. Wenceslas Square was also the center of the student led Velvet Revolution that led to the transition of power away from Soviets in 1989.
We ended our day at the Cathedral of Ss Cyril and Methodius- the church where Czech paratroopers hid out after their assignation of the Nazi “Protector” Reinhard Heydrich in 1942. This act of resistance was organized by the Czech foreign resistance in London - called ANTHROPOID.
We divided to do go to a jazz show at the Reduta. Evidently this club is legendary- President Clinton has played here twice. The show was just Ok, the band was good but the “Frank Sinatra” singer was pretty weak. After the show my sister insisted that we had to stop somewhere else - and she just googled a bar near to our apartment. OMG did we hit the jackpot on FUN.
We stepped into at La Bodeguita del Medio (- Kaprova 19/5, 110 00) and were engulfed in Cuban music. There was a singer who was fabulous. And

Jan Zajic memorial

Wenceslas Square

Adorable school kids

Frank Kafka statue

Club Reduta

So fun

The whole bar up and dancing

I wish I could have added the video
everyone in the place kept jumping up and dancing the 💃 salsa. We stayed for the whole show. It was great- my sister and I jumped in and joined everyone. Pretty exciting for the varsity team. And mind you this was at about 8:30pm. I’ll try and attach photos, but I mostly took videos

Old May 13th, 2024, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Dang auto- correct it’s “Franz Kafka” not Frank - statue is representing “The Metamorphosis” as it constantly shifts